Kwati is a traditional Nepali/Newari soup consisting of varieties of beans. Highly rich in protein, this dish can be eaten with rice, beaten rice or roti.
- 300g mixed beans
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2T garlic ginger paste
- 2t cumin powder
- 1t coriander powder
- 1t turmeric powder
- 1t cumin seed
- 3T oil
- 1 green chili
- 2 dried red chili
- 2T ghee
- 1t juwano seeds
- 1t jimbu
- 500ml hot water
- Soak mixed beans for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and add cumin seeds, dried red chili, and garlic ginger paste. Stir.
- Add chopped onions and stir.
- Then add the beans after draining out water. Stir.
- Add turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt. Stir.
- Add tomato and stir. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and then add hot water. Stir
- Close the lid and cook for about 4-5 whistle.
- Set aside and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- On a separate toasting pan heat ghee. When the ghee gets hot dd juwano, Jimbu and quickly pour into the soup.
- Mix well and garnish with onions and cilantro. Serve.